Does Your Property Need to Pay for Capital Gains Taxes?


You may be liable to capital gains tax on the rise in value if you sell or “dispose” of a property that has increased in value since you first purchased it. Remember that you will only be taxed on the profit, not the transaction’s whole value. Please consider this while making your selection. The tax payable to the government will be calculated by adding this taxable gain to your predicted income.


Capital Gains Tax on Real Estate

When to Pay?

You will most likely be taxed if you sell a second home or a buy-to-let property or if you rent out a part of your primary residence. CGT applies to all types of property, including commercial, residential, and inherited. When calculating your profit, consider costs like legal and estate agency fees, stamp duty, and surveyor fees. A house valuation for capital gains tax may also be required if you are selling, swapping, or donating your property or land.


Private Residence Relief

When you sell a home that you’ve lived in as your principal residence for the whole of your ownership, PRR will deduct the gain from CGT. You must meet this and all other PRR requirements to be eligible for the relief.


Second Homeowners

Those selling a second home or a buy-to-let property must pay CGT on any profit earned after subtracting any allowable expenses and allowances. The “top slice” of your income is taxable gain. It is taxed at 18% for basic rate taxpayers and 28% for higher and additional rate taxpayers.


Main Residence

Under tax law, determining what counts as a main residence is complicated, but to put it simply, it’s your home. Of course, home is much more than simply where you live, and it will be rather easy to describe in most situations. If you own several homes, you may designate one as your main tax-free residence. This doesn’t need to be your main home all of the time, or even the majority of the time.


You may want to choose the property where you expect to make the greatest money when you sell it. After buying a second house, you have two years to declare it your main, tax-free residence. If you are married or in a civil partnership, you may only designate one property between you and your spouse.


Actions to Take

Within 30 days following the completion date, you must submit a CGT return with HMRC and pay the tax. HMRC will levy penalties and interest if you don’t report or pay tax when you’re supposed to. Because you have such a limited window, you’ll need to prepare ahead of time to ensure you fulfill the new 30-day deadline. Unless you fall into one of the categories for whom the use of digital technology is not reasonably anticipated, you must submit your CGT return and payment online using HMRC’s government portal. You may seek expert advice on property expert witness from Copping Joyce.



Depending on your tax bracket, you will owe capital gains tax (CGT) at a rate of 18 percent, 28 percent, or a combination of the two. Whenever you file a tax return, you must provide information on how the return was processed, as is customary practice. You will be responsible for making any appropriate tax adjustments on your behalf via self-assessment.